A personal testimony (story)


I was never an athlete,  but i tried to do a lot of it, cricket, football, basketball and my favourite was running.
Back in the old days, sometime in the 1990-1995, while attending the secondary school - in Grenada, I realised the pattern for getting the attention from the ladies. It was clear that the guys who were good at sports always had the attention of the best girls. When I say best, I mean best looking, physically attractive. Any reasonable person will know that at 14 to 19, physical attraction top it like the cherry on the cake!
So there I was small guys seeking a route for attention from these ladies and believe you me, i did not get as much as 1 good look from any of them - for my "proneness"  in the field of athletics.
I give this story because there is a good reason to realise who you are even by the age of 14 or 15. That was something I guess was a bit slow for me, I am generally a slow to pick up person. However, I like to think that I take my time in everything. You see I was 4th in a line of boys, who all attended that school, two were my blood brother and the other my cousin.
The biggest brother was into cricket and basketball. He was ok -ish. While the second brother was much better, with cricket, football and running. Then there was so much of my second brother friend, they were the best in the field. They all hanged out, attracted the girls from the other schools like crazy. ( And they seem to always have money! That part still beats me!)

However, my cus. was next in line, he too was good at cricket and football, but did not demonstrate a direct passion for that interest, his interest was into his books. A reserved spirit but deep thinker, a man that be relied upon for advice. Then last one in line, with a goal to at least look as if I can get the attention of 1 or two of the ladies.

Well I tired, and long story short I marketed myself to as a long distance runner for about 4 year. I ran cross country, 5K, 10K but my position was always a successful last. However, even if i never was good at running, i had a bit of showmanship in my performance, Today I look back and think to myself that the staff at that school just wanted to see the the finishing dance, or the competitive sprint for last with no one else in front or behind you.

It is about 19 year after I am reflecting on this episode with good reasons, I am not an athlete but i could run enough to keep my health in check, I am not a showman, but I have enough energy to keep my audience actively engage in a lecture. I am not a scientist or a business man. I the person who prefers to know a little bit of everything. I am interested in everything because that is who I am.

So why tell this story.
1. Today at age 35 I realise that seeking attention takes a strategy, and this strategy should be based on your own strength. Not the strength of your brother, sister, enemy or friend.
2. Seeking attention from people who are really interested in your work need no cell phone or marketing tool. God will send them when you have organised your thoughts and prayed. Now my definition of prayer is based on book of James. Asking, never doubting!
3. The best time to do all this is in school. That way you can formalize your plan for the real world, world of work, world of business and challenges.
4. The more you can successfully complete your task, even at the end, the more you will successfully complete your task. Makes no sense right. Well unpack it. The ones who comes first, they are motivate by the prize, the one who comes between may be motivated by the chance to do better. All these are external pressures.
The one who comes last and continues to do the same, developed the patience to continue knowing well that the reward does not matter, but his development is being enhanced.

So I urge you my dearest reader to run, continue to run, even while the last position is 1 hours behind the expected time of completion, you are in the position of achieving an inner most prize, one that - well no one but God gives.

Comments